Where will I live?

Most young people who are looked after will live with foster carers, or in a children's home.

Although there are differences between foster care and children's homes, they should both make sure: 

  • you are safe 
  • you are well looked after 
  • you feel at home 
  • you are listened to 
  • you have things explained to you 
  • your race, culture, religion, sexuality and any disability is respected. 
  • you get the support you need in your education 
  • you know all about your pocket money and other allowances. 
  • personal information about you and your family is kept confidential   

Foster care

Foster carers are people who have agreed to share their home and lives with young people. It can take a long time to become a foster carer because social services want to make sure that they are trained properly and are able to support young people in the best possible way.

Foster carers have their own social workers called supervising social workers. 

If you live in foster care, it should be like living in a normal household with the same adults looking after you everyday.

They should let you feel as if you are part of the family and so should do things that would be normal in a family like going on holiday with them, attending school meetings and taking you to the doctor or dentist. 

Children's homes 

Some people call children's homes 'residential units'. They are a bit different to living in foster care because there are other looked after young people who live there too.

The other difference is that there will be more adults who work there looking after you. Adults who work there are called 'residential workers'. 

Because there may be several social workers, you will be given a named adult who you can talk to. This person is usually called your key worker