My Health

When you are in care, the local authority must look after your general health care.  This includes

  • Making sure you are registered with a doctor and a dentist. 
  • Making sure you have a health assessment each year - you may wish to talk about this with your social worker
  • Making sure your health care needs are part of your care plan and that health is part of your Review discussions. 
  • Finding out vital information about your health as you go into care, e.g., whether you may have certain allergies, asthma, epilepsy etc.

Staying healthy includes:

  • Healthy eating
  • Taking regular exercise
  • Emotional well being
  • Sexual health

You have the right to good health care from a doctor, nurse, dentist, optician or a consultant when you need it. It is also important that you look after your own health.  There is lots of information about how to stay healthy on the Kids Health Website or at your local doctor's surgery.  Your Social Worker or carer can get you any information you need.  

Do other people see my medical notes or files?

Usually other people are not allowed to see your medical notes or files. Anything you say to your doctor or any other health professional is confidential unless they are worried that you may be in danger of harm.  In that case they would have to pass on information to your social worker but they should tell you if they do this.

School Nursing Facebook Site

Your School Nursing Service can work with you both in and out of school to help provide or find you support about any of the following:

  • Keeping healthy
  • Emotional health
  • Drugs and alcohol
  • Weight management
  • Sexual health
  • or immunisations

Get in touch with them at their School Nursing Facebook Page.